You are here


  • What does the case number tell me?

    Alaska case numbers consist of the location where the case was filed, the year of filing, a case type abbreviation, five sequence digits, and the initials of the judge assigned to the case. The most common case types are "CR" for Criminal prosecutions and "CV" for Civil actions.

    The case number format is as follows: L:YY-TT-NNNNN

    L Location 1 = Juneau
    2 = Nome
    3 = Anchorage
    4 = Fairbanks
    5 = Ketchikan
    YY Year Filed 00 - 40 = 2000 - 2010
    TT Case Type CV = Civil
    CR = Criminal
    MC = Miscellaneous
    MJ = Magistrate Judge
    NNNN Sequence Number 00000 - 99999


    Example: 3:06-CV-00100 is a Civil case filed in Anchorage in 2006, the one hundredth case of that type in that year.

  • Do you have a Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system?

    To establish an access account for all U.S. Court PACER systems, contact the PACER Service Center at (800) 676-6856 or Information regarding PACER online fees and billing are also available from the PACER Service Center.

  • Who do I contact to find out about training for the Digital Evidence Presentation System (DEPS)?

    Please call the DQA (Data Quality Analyst) assigned to your matter.

  • What are the witness fees?

    The witness fees are the same as the jury fees, which are currently $40.00 per day and $0.54 per mile.

  • How many copies do I need to file at the Court?

    Each filing is required to consist of an original and one copy.

  • How do I get admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court?

    Contact the Alaska District Court Attorney's Admission Clerk at (907) 677-6117.

  • Is there a document available from the Court which provides procedural information?

    Yes. The District of Alaska Local Rules are available by clicking the link in this paragraph or by selecting Court Info > Local Rules from the menu at the top of the page.

    In addition, there is a Legal Secretary Federal Litigation Guide from James Publishing available in most law libraries.

  • What are the fees for the District Court?

    To view a list of fees charged by the US District Court click here or select Court Info > Fees from the menu at the top of the page.

  • Where do I file?

    The primary filing location is in Anchorage, Alaska. The Court has divisional offices located in Fairbanks, Juneau and Ketchikan. In addition, we can accept filings in Nome.

    Information about court offices can provide guidance to the closest filing location. Click on the link in this paragraph, or select Court Info > Court Locations from the menu at the top of the page.

  • Who do I contact for court calendar or docket information?

    Phone numbers for Case Management Clerks can be found here or by selecting Court Info > Contacts from the menu at the top of the page.

  • How many days will it take to fulfill an archive request?

    Individuals who request files from archives can expect to review those files within two to three weeks.

  • What are the Federal Holidays?

    To view a list of Federal and Alaska holidays, click here or select Court Info > Court Holidays from the menu at the top of the page.

  • How many judges are there in the District of Alaska?

    To view a list of Federal Judges in the District of Alaska click here or click on the Judges' Info link in the menu at the top of the page.

  • What does it mean if a person is granted "In Forma Pauperis" (IFP) status?

    In Forma Pauperis status means the court has waived the Civil case filing fee requirement. It does not mean that other costs, such as copying or certifying, are waived.

  • How do I get certified copies of documents?

    First, either visit the court office, or call the Intake Desk at (907) 677-6130 to determine the number of pages in the document.

    If making a written request by mail, send the request to the appropriate court office where the case was filed. Please include the case name, case number, filing date, and the title of the specific document(s) which you wish to have certified. In addition, please include your name, address and daytime telephone number. Payment must be included with written requests.

    Payment can be in the form of a check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to Clerk, U.S. District Court. Please refer to the fee schedule for the current fee amounts.

  • Are all records in the Clerk's office public information?

    All records are public information unless sealed by the court.

  • What forms of payment are acceptable at the U.S. District Court?

    Cash, check, credit card, money order or cashiers check payable to Clerk, U.S. District Court.

    • - We do not accept third-party checks
      - Cash payments must be in exact change only
      - Credit card payments cannot be made for criminal fines and restitution
      - NSF checks will be assessed a service fee, refer to the fee schedule for the current NSF fee
  • Will I have to pass a security check when I enter the courthouse?

    Yes. The courthouse is operating under heightened security awareness. You will need to present valid identification, all bags, parcels, briefcases, etc. are subject to x-ray search, and persons entering the courthouse must pass through a magnetometer ("metal detector"). While cameras, cell phones and pagers are allowed in the Federal Building, they are not permitted in the U.S. Court area. It would be best to not bring these items with you.

    Weapons are not allowed in any part of the building.

    18 USC section 930

    Except as otherwise provided, whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or dangerous weapon in a federal court facility or U.S. Attorney's office, or attempts to do so, may be subject to the following penalties:

    • - a fine, 2 years imprisonment or both for posession or attempted posession
    • - a fine, 5 years imprisonment or both if such a weapon is used in the commission of a crime
  • Do I need an attorney to file a case?

    While it is possible to participate in a case pro se, that is, without the assistance of an attorney, it is extremely difficult to do so successfully. Hiring a competent attorney is highly recommended. For information about referral programs, contact your local bar association. The web site for the Alaskan Bar Association is

    The U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska has a pro se clerk to facilitate filing and processing of pro se litigation. We also have forms, instructions, and a pro se handbookavailable on our web site. Select Filing Without an Attorney the menu at the top of the page. Please refer to this handbook if you anticipate becoming involved in pro se litigation with this Court.

  • What is the court's copy fee and policy?

    Each filing is required to consist of an original and one copy.The Judicial Conference sets all fees for the District Courts. Please click here to see a listing of the current fee amounts.